Search

To Search for your favorite brews use the search box at the top.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Day 19, August 1

The Offering: La Trappe Tripel

ABV: 8%

Interesting note about La Trappe. The beer was originally brewed by Trappist monks and therefore considered one of eight "Trappist" breweries. In the late 90's the monks licensed the operations to Bavaria and consequently lost the right to be called Trappist. To regain the Trappist name the monks reinvolved themselves in the day to day operations and in 2005 were allowed back into the order of Trappist breweries.

As for the Tripel... spicy, bitter, slightly malty sweet like others but it's missing something. Katie says it's good on the front of the palette and it finishes well but the middle is lacking. I tend to agree. It has slightly lower ABV than other Tripels and little less taste.

Maybe I'm slightly put off by the commercialization of a classic beer or it really is missing something but I'm definitely ranking it lower than the other similar Belgians.

Points: 88

Thanks to Katie

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment