Search

To Search for your favorite brews use the search box at the top.

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Day 160, December 20

The Offering: Trappist Westvleteren XII, Belgian Quadrupel. Brouwerij Westvleteren. Belgium

ABV: 10.2%

If the end of the world is tomorrow than I better be drinking the best beer in the world today. Westvleteren 12 has been "The best beer in the world" for some time now. It's most likely got this distinction because it's an awesome beer that is impossible to get. Since the beginning, it only available at the Trappist monastery in Belgium. I honestly thought i couldn't get my hands on it this year. But, by some chance of fate the monks decided to release a batch (a couple thousand barrels) one time, to the outside world.

"The Brick" as it is called is a $90 six pack that was was only available at choice brew shops across the country. It sold out in minutes at every one. Yes, I was one of the crew that got in line at 7:30am to purchase a brick from city beer store. It was madness. 250 people in line for 100+ cases. Was is worth it?

Even if the beer was shit it was worth it just to try it for me. That frees me to be as unbiased as possible in my judging. And I may freely say this is a badass brew!!

Deep Dark fruity malts on the nose. Slightly sweet and complex. I really can't get away from the sweet rich nose. It smells like a meal. The
mouth is even better. Super rich and by far the creamiest beer I have ever tasted. The creamy malts are sweet with a slight bitterness from the hops. The finish stays with you as the thick dark malts stick to your palate. Wow. This brew has a serious case for top dog. I recommend this to everyone. It is really a one at a time deal though, I can't imagine having two. There is so much richness that two might actually take away from the experience. Have fun with this one.

Enjoy!

Points: 98

Thanks to Katie and City Beer Store

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment