Search

To Search for your favorite brews use the search box at the top.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Day 125, November 15

The Offering: Saison Dupont, Belgian Farmhouse Ale. Belgium

ABV: 6.5%

I've had number of Saisons so far and every one seems to be very different. So I was curious, what makes a Saison a Saison? Turns out, not a whole lot. Every one is different and there is no "supposed to" really associated with the style. However, reading the Wikipedia page for Saison, apparently many of them are modeled after Saison Dupont. In fact Saison Dupont was voted Best Beer in the World by The Men's Journal in 2005. It's an unexpected pleasure to be halfway through a brew and read that it was the best beer in the world to someone. I had a similar but not satisfying event happen to me in a restaurant once. I accidentally ordered the wrong bottle of wine and we didn't realize we drank an incredible bottle until it was finished and we got the check. BTW if you ever order a bottle of BV Napa, make sure it is not the George de Lateur. Or, on second thought, make sure that it is and enjoy it. I digress...

This brew is excellent! Best beer in the world? Not quite, but damn good. Nice funky citrus nose, with wheat and a little skunky cannabis. Great mouth with wheat citrus and yeasty goodness. The mouthfeel is a little thick which really makes the flavors stick with you. The finish is a little astringent almost like you just bit into a grapefruit, a very chewy grapefruit. This is a beer for all beer drinkers.

Points: 95

Thanks to Katie

Cheers

Oh yeah, these are my turtles Mortisimus and Malabar

No comments:

Post a Comment