The Offering: Deschutes Brewery, Hop in the Dark, Cascadian Dark Ale. Oregon USA
ABV: 6.9%
This brew has a great cascade hops nose, which is surprising in a dark beer. I must say the brew was named well. A bit of sweet malts come through too but mostly hops. The mouth is another story. I get a lot of the darker roasted malt flavors first rather than the hops but the bitter hops come through in the end. The bitter hops and roasted malts don't quite work for me on this one. Not bad but the balance isn't quite there. Not to be avoided but I'm not crazy about this brew.
Points: 80
Thanks to Katie
Cheers

I love Deschutes, so I'm disappointed to hear that this one is only so-so. Black Butte Porter was my first favorite beer (and is still my favorite porter), and Mirror Pond Pale Ale is a fantastic standby, so don't give up on Deschutes, yet!
ReplyDelete